Thursday, April 27, 2006

 

63-Clay, Cassius - The greatest




A promise is made, a promise has to be kept.
Especially with this guy. He kept his promises : 'in round three ....'.
The wonderfull Cassius Clay. The man who did so many good projects for eg non educated children (I have his album from 1976 teaching children not to eat too much sweeties and why/how to clean their teeth).
Don't recall Cassius winning the Olympic boxing championship. Was it in 1962 in Rome ?
But then his big mouth spread the world. He was so different from the other world boxing heavy weight champions.
High trees catch a lot of wind. Of course a lot of people were against him. But to me he was the one who made boxing popular all over the world by his behaviour. I'm a king bee and stick when I want. I'm the greatest. He predicted when he would knock down his next opponent.
Remember so well his fight against Sonny Liston, the 'bear'. He would lose everyone knew. Sonny Liston would be unbeatable for years. But within a minute it was over. See the above picture : Cassius was the greatest, indeed. And for many, many years.

Next saturday I will listen again to a radioshow called 'Popcorn'. When you click on the radio button left on my BLog you will come on the homepage of Laserradio. There you click on 'luister' on top (left). I hope you all join us at 20 hrs GMT for a 2 hour show.

What's to expect ? Very nice music, mostly end 50 begin 60, danceable, certain latin sound, not known (mostly b-sides). Theo Dumoulin tells a lot of background info to each song/artist.
Here are some tracks from the playlist (do you know any ?).
21 Harper, Toni - Heavenly love
22 McKenzie, Scott - Look in your eyes
23 Denton, Mickey - Now you can't give them away
24 Celentano, Adriano - E voi ballate
25 Sinatra, Nancy - Think of me
26 Doren, Mamie van - Nobody but you
27 Turner, Dennis - My lady love
28 Adams, Bobby - Save these teardrops
29 Butler, Jerry - He will break your heart
30 Dee, Jackie - Strolypso dance
31 Clay, Cassius - Stand by me
The last one does it.
I promised DJ 'master Theo Dumoulin' (BTW he became #5 in a DJ poll in the Netherlands some weeks ago) a long time ago I would offer an album called '63-Clay, Cassius - The greatest' from which this single (known by Ben E King of course) is taken. Cassius isn't a bad singer at all !
Beware, this isn't a music album ! But when you can remember those days when we listened to his 'big mouth' and stayed up all night to watch his great fights you will be very pleased with this one, I assure you.

The link, the tracklist and the password is in the comments.
EDIT !!!!!
Summertime/wintertime & GMT/CET are giving problems to this old man.
The broadcast saturday on Laser radio is at 20hrs CET and because of summertime that's 18hrs GMT !!!!!
EDIT !!!!!

Labels:


Comments:
Mama Said Knock me Out!

You are the Greatest, Jean.

Your blog floats like a Butterfly and stings like a bee, and it put the crack in the Liberty Bell!
 
Jean
Thanks for the whole LP.
I've some spare tracks from him.
But this is great.

Ronald.
Is there a archive of Popcorn shows on the net??
 
Ron,
somehow I have the idea we're from the same country.

Here's a link to Theo's Podcast since november 2005 on Laser radio.

http://podplaza.nl/index.php?action=showpage&show_id=179#all_episodes

One can also get there via Laser radio (my link on the left), choose there podcast and choose the (first) podcast of link Theo Dumoulin.

Maybe, maybe I will post some songs in advance.
 
thanks for the reminder photo of the "phantom punch" - you really think Liston was KO'd? One of the biggest set ups in history...
 
Anonymous,
I know that rumour went around but I don't think so (but who am I ?).

BTW I write everything from memory. So I can make mistake's.

Weren't there two fights ?
First CC beat SL as the challenger and became worldchampion.
Second SL got a reprise fight, him being the challenger.
I have this picture for a few years.
I see 1965 may. So this picture should be from the second fight ('the 10 seconds fight').
 
wow~ Great post~

Thanks~ JeansMusicBlog
 
Great post

Thanks jeansMusicblog
 
63-Clay, Cassius - I am the greatest

01 Round 1 I Am the Greatest
02 Round 2 I Am the Double Greatest
03 Round 3 Do You Have to Ask ?
04 Round 4 "I Have Written a Drama, " He Said Playfully
05 Round 5 Will the Real Sonny Liston Please Fall Down
06 Round 6 Funny You Should Ask
07 Round 7 2138
08 Round 8 the Knockout

09 Afterpiece (See Round 1)

10 I Am the Greatest (single)
11 Stand by Me (single)

12 The Gang's All Here

Hope you'll enjoy this LP as well as the radio show !
Tell us.

27 April, 2006 13:22
>>>

The old link has expired, so here's a new one. This time you have to copy and paste into one link

htt
AND
p://rapi
AND
dshare.com/files/12770530/C_C_Iatg_63_JD.rar

Pass : JD_070121

This time I also added as a kind of bonus a nice reggae song Dennis Alcapone - Cassius Clay !
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Wanna see more ? Click the archive buttons in the left bar !

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
My archives pictures