Saturday, June 03, 2006

 

Popcorn evening again !

It's again the first saturday of the month. So at 20hrs CET Mr (mellow) Popcorn Theo Dumoulin is on air again on Laserradio with his great prg this time called Pretty Popcorn. Very nice playlist as you can see. There are also links to earlier playlist and podcasts if you want to listen to his old shows.

If you want to join us press LaserSound.

Theo starts the second hour with Arthur Alexander's - Anna.
I had a Tsjech girlfriend with that name during the 'cold war' and visited Eastern Europe almost every month. So the song has something 'special' for me...
Anna is so well known covered by a band (which name I can't pronounce because I'm a fan of good music, so the Rolling Stones ...) from Liverpool. :-)


Here's the whole LP by Arthur Alexander (scans not included in my re-upload 2007_may), a former bus chauffeur if I remember well. Theo will tell wether or not he's in the heavenly hall of fame.
I've added some covers by eg that Liverpool Band, John Lamers (from Holland) and Paul Anka (both in German !). Also two very fine versions of You better move on by The Rolling Stones and by Larry Vine from Denmark. Especially this last one is a 'must have'.
Note the mistake Delbert McClinton (harmonica) makes at 15 seconds on Bruce Chanel's version of Hey baby ! He has too stop for a second ! Never noticed ?? On their tour in the UK Delbert learned John Lennon how to play harmonica).

Mr Theo, do you consider the single version of 'You better move on' Popcorn or not ... ? :-)

See for this all the comments. There's also the usual pass to this (I think) nice LP (which, by the way, is only in 128Kbits). If you like it try to buy to original (but I think that will not be so easy !).

I very humble ask you to leave a comment when you listened (even if it is a short while) and what you think of it.
I even more like it when you place it in de 'gastenboek' on the Laser site !!


Oefffff, new way of making my post, so I hope all the links work .. !

Labels:


Comments:
01-Alexander, Arthur - You Better Move On (LP version)
02-Alexander, Arthur - Love Letters
03-Alexander, Arthur - Hey Baby
03-Alexander, Arthur - Hey! Baby
04-Alexander, Arthur - Funny How Time Slips Away
05-Alexander, Arthur - Young World
06-Alexander, Arthur - A Thousand Stars
07-Alexander, Arthur - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
08-Alexander, Arthur - Lover, Please Come Back
09-Alexander, Arthur - Love Me Warm And Tender
10-Alexander, Arthur - The Wanderer
11-Alexander, Arthur - Don't Break The Heart That Loves You
12-Alexander, Arthur - You're The Reason
13-Alexander, Arthur - Anna (Go To Him)
14-Alexander, Arthur - A Shot Of Rhythm & Blues
15-Alexander, Arthur - Go Home Girl
16-Alexander, Arthur - Soldier Of Love
17-Alexander, Arthur - Dream Girl
18-Alexander, Arthur - You Don't Care
19-Alexander, Arthur - Black Night
20-Alexander, Arthur - You Better Move On (Single version)


Anka, Paul - Lauter Liebe schenk ich dir (Love me warm and tender)
Beatles - Anna (go to him)
Chanel, Bruce - Hey baby
Dion - The wanderer
Lamers, John - Bitte bleib bei mir (Lover please)
McPhatter, Clyde - Lover please
Rolling Stones - You better move on
Swan, Billy - Lover please
Vile, Larry (Denemarken) - You better move on


Pass
http://jeansmusicblog.blogspot.com/
 
pw doesn't work here - am I alone with that prob? :-)

tia
 
Just checked again the PW and it worked. Must be also for the other downloads 'till your comment (15).
So please check the copy/paste method.
 
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, I appreciate you for posting a legend. I have admired his music forever even before Beatlemania.

Thank You again
Jack
 
umm - still no luck :(

I used copy/paste all the time - also tried without the http.. beginning.
I'm on a mac - and tried with two different proggies.

checked the cassius LP and that pw worked:
jeansmusicblog.blogspot.com

strange - no idea what the prob could be.

anyone with a mac was able to unpack it?

sorry for beeing pain ;-)
 
not work how was without a password
 
Just did download again and used the PW above. No problem.
Be sure not to take a space at the end.
I've read about sometimes problems with Mac's. Have no tip to that.
 
It's me again :-)
I didn't made a space at the end and I didn't had any prbs with pws before.
Not sure if there might be a limit of characters or some a mac doesn't like (maybe that one ":")
A change to "jeansmusicblog.blogspot.com" might do the trick - if not for that one - maybe for the next ones :-)

tia
 
Tia,
just for you (or other Mac users) I uploaded it again (and even with an extra song Alexander, Arthur - Everyday I have to cry some) so here's the new link.

http://rapidshare.de/files/22231199/AA_YBMO_extra_Tia_Mac.rar

Pass
JeansMusicBlog

BTW I use Winrar 3.51. If you/someone else has an older version there's also a problem.

So you have to download this new one and extract with this new pass.

I started 2 month's ago BLogging and this is the first problem. Don't like it : is of course not the intention. So, sorry for the problem but I want to solve it out.
I'll hear from you over here.
JD
 
Heya JD,

your first problem is solved :-)

Downloaded it again and had no probs unpacking it.
Thanx for the good music and for working on the problem!

Now we only need better weather....

cheers tia
 
it don#t go with password
why you take a password when for all to see Penner
 
To Tia and other Mac users.

I have a real PC with that Bill Gates OS... :-)

I saw this somewhere.
Maybe this can be of help.

'If you have Mac/OSX you can use MacPAR deLuxe. It's free.'
 
why let go away the password
 
Warum stellst du sie nicht ohne Password rein.
 
Both the old links have long been expired. Well I posted this already one year ago. Because my low number of downloads it had to happen.

But no problem, here's a new one which can be used by real PC users but also by Mac users .. :-)

Copy and paste into one link :
htt
AND
p://rapi
AND
dshare.com/files/29520637/A_A_YBMO_extra.rar

NEW pass : JD_070504

When you see this in Google cache (or alike) you have to go to my BLog and this comment otherwise you cannot copy/paste this !
 
In my eyes (and ears), Arthur Alexander is a forgotten and unrecognised hero in the history of pop music and R&B. I first heard his name on the Beatles cover of "Anna" and the Stones "You better move on".

It's only in recent years I've realised just what an amazing influence he was on artists in the 60s. Apart from "Anna", the Beatles also played "Soldier of love" in their live sets - they and every other beat band in the land played "A shot of rhythm and blues". Interesting that in all three songs, the Beatles copied his arrangement to the letter, or should I say, note.

A lovely lovely album, so many thanks to you for posting it. I would love to hear "Every day I have to cry" - I know the Steve Alaimo version but not Arthur's original. Any chance?
 
I'll send three different recordings by Arthur Alexander.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Wanna see more ? Click the archive buttons in the left bar !

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
My archives pictures