Thursday, December 28, 2006

 

Bob Dylan's first recording ?

Harry Belafonte has always been to me the Calypso singer.
I do have his very nice Carnegie Hall concerts (with the great Odetta !) as well as some others.

In 1962 he made an album called Midnight special. Recording info : Webster Hall, New York City, New York, February 2, 1962.
Interesting about it is that on the title track Bob Dylan is playing mondharmonica.
It seems Belafonte and Dylan didn't quite get along well so after this song their co-operation was over.
In the same year Carolyn Hester issued a selftitled album wich was recorded a few month's earlier (1961 sept). On this one mister Bob Zimmerman plays on several tracks harp !
I have that album but I have to say it nicely, it's not my kind of 'my music'.
So this was Dylan's first professional recording but you can hardly recognize him.

On Midnight special however we can hear him as we all 'know' him !
I have here the almost complete session of this song (20 tracks). So Bob Dylan lovers have to get it !
Is there anyone who dare comment to it ?

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Thanks and a Happy New Year.
 
So you got two instead of one ..! :-)

Isn't that Paul & Paula also cute ?
I was looking for it soooo long.
Just got it by accident for only 1 euro on a flee market !!!

In my post I write about Carolyn Hester recorded Bob's first official recording.

I just found out, listening to a bootleg LP, I have also Carolyn Hester ft Buddy Holly on two songs : Scarlett Ribbons & Wreck Of The Old 97 !
Buddy Holly doesn't sing but he only plays guitar/overdubbed guitar/backing vocals.
Recorded 57_02_19 with his companions Jerry 'Ivan' Allison & Joe B. Mauldin. Of course Norman Petty was the engineer/producer.

Hope to remember tomorrow to add this info to my database !!

Happy new year to you too !
 
Belafonte, Harry ft Bob Dylan - Midnight special 62_02_02

Harry Belafonte - vocal
Ernie Calabria - guitar
Millard Thomas - guitar
Bob Dylan - harmonica
Norman Keenan - bass
Percy Bruce - drums
Don Lamond - drums
Danny Barrajanos - drums

Produced by Hugo Montenegro


Copy and paste into one link :
htt
AND
p://rapi
AND
dshare.com/files/18251712/BH_BD-Midnight_62.rar

Pass : JD_070225

>>
When you see this in Google cache (or alike) you have to go to my BLog and this comment otherwise you cannot copy/paste this !
>>
 
I recently discovered your blog a while back and have to say I'm incredibly thankful for all the albums, but specially this one. I can't wait to listen to it.

Thanks !!
And keep it going, please !
 
Patrice, if you are a true Bob Dylan adept this is a must !!

I thought I'd posted the Carolyn Hester LP on which Bob Dylan plays the harp on some tracks but I just notice I didn't.
If you like to listen to that one give a remark within the next days.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Wanna see more ? Click the archive buttons in the left bar !

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
My archives pictures