Saturday, January 20, 2007

 

Last week 1928 Jan 12 : Ruth Brown was born

Furyanimal (what's in a name) from Brasil has a nice BLog called Musicnews.
He asked me yesterday in a comment over here (...) if I had some Ruth Brown.
Well it happens I have a few ... :-)

Ruth Brown (January 12, 1928–November 17, 2006) was an American R&B singer. Born Ruth Alston Weston in Portsmouth, Virginia, Ruth Brown brought a popular music style to rhythm and blues in a series of hit songs for fledgling Atlantic Records in the 1950s.

On Wikepedia you can find her biography or go to sites like AllMusicGuide but there will be more interesting sites/BLog's. So 'Google'. Use the links on the left.

Young Ruth Weston was inspired initially by jazz chanteuses Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday, and Dinah Washington, so not the least ones !
On Atlantic Records she had in 1950 her first (small) hit with So Long. Nice one's followed like Teardrops from My Eyes & Lucky lips (later covered by Roger Webb ; you know him as Cliff Richard).

In those years she married Clyde McPhatter who just had left the Drifters to start a solo career. They had two sons and 'as well' a huge duet hit in 1955 Love Has Joined Us Together.

In the comments 'Furyanimal' (and anybody who likes or think will also like her) can find a nice compilation. It's my own and I tried to vary the songs as much as possible (fast/slow/issue date) to give you a general idea of her musical quality's.
I added also as a kind of 'bonus' her great duet single with Clyde McPhatter Love Has Joined Us Together b/w I Gotta Have You.
The best songs are to me Oh what a dream, I don't know & Love Has Joined Us Together. Hope you agree and let me know (also if you have info about release date and so on).

Comments:
Brown, Ruth - Ruth Brown classic

01-Brown, Ruth - Baby Baby
02-Brown, Ruth - Daddy Daddy
03-Brown, Ruth - You're A Stone Groovy Thing
04-Brown, Ruth - Mambo Baby
05-Brown, Ruth - This Little Girl's Gone Rockin _1958
06-Brown, Ruth - Wild Wild Young Men
07-Brown, Ruth - So Long
08-Brown, Ruth - I'll Get Along Somehow
09-Brown, Ruth - Don't Deceive Me _1960
10-Brown, Ruth - Mama He Treats Your Daugther Mean
11-Brown, Ruth - Teardrops From My Eyes _1947
12-Brown, Ruth - Oh What A Dream
13-Brown, Ruth - Lucky Lips _1957
14-Brown, Ruth - 5-10-15 Hours
15-Brown, Ruth - If I can't sell it, I'll keep sittin' on it
16-Brown, Ruth - I Don't Know _1959

BONUS
17-Brown, Ruth & Clyde McPhatter - I Gotta Have You _1955
18-Brown, Ruth & Clyde McPhatter - Love Has Joined Us Together _1955

Note this is (as all my postings) of a low bitrate : only 128KBits. This makes a file of 45MB for 50 minutes musical entertainment.

Copy and paste into one link :
htt
AND
p://rapi
AND
dshare.com/files/12454763/B_R-RBc_JD.rar

Pass : JD_070119
 
Just stopping by to say "Hello", Jean. I found your blog very interesting and will visit often.

I scribble about music as a secondary blog, but not nearly as professionally as you. My main blog is about astrology.

If you ever feel like a visit to the musical one it's
http://twilightcyclesong.blogspot.com/

Keep up the good work
 
Twilight, from your profile : Twilight - how else did I get my name? :-)
Can you explain ? Don't get it, suppose I'm dumb.

My little brother is involved with astrology. We discussed a lot but he can't convince me.
I really can't understand how eg monk Nostradamus predicted in his writings World War 2.

Just visited your music BLog you just seem to have started recently.
I just started like you in 2006 april. I'm not behaving like a professional. Just try out things to improve to looks of my BLog. Keeps this young elderly 'off the street'.
Hope you will do the same. Do things as you please !

Maybe I will post some 'Italian stuff' in the future.....
 
This is really good.

I had not heard any of her stuff before, I'll be on the lookout for more now.

I liked all the tracks - so many different styles.

Great post - thanks a lot.
 
Although to be in 128 kbits I am sufficiently been thankful.. A friend mine goes to make the order of a record of it, when he to loan I to me place in mine blog. Debtor and tomorrow I go to place the Johnny Cymbal of the MCA records. The quality of this recordings is excellent with 21 tracks.
 
Dank voor RUTH BROWN ( en de rest )
Raoul.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Wanna see more ? Click the archive buttons in the left bar !

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
My archives pictures