Monday, January 22, 2007

 

On this day 1931 : Sam Cooke was born

Sam Cooke is a man who has to be remembered today, no doubt about that !!

On Wikepedia you can find his bigraphy and if that's not enough you can go to the Sam Cooke site which is dedicated to him.

Known to most people by his hits like Only sixteen, Chain gang, Cupid, Twistin' the night away, Another saturday night : need I go on ?

Like so many black singers Sam Cooke started as a church singer. Oh how I like his gospel songs, even much more than his popular hits.
So I made a small personal compilation of songs he made with the Soul Stirrers for ya. So this is not a commercial available CD/LP !
I always get tears in my eyes when I listen to Touch the hem of His garment. Believing and also being humble you know.
Peace in the valley is also a nice, but more familiar, song. The others are all top as well !!!!!
I added three alternate take's instead of the original issued versions.
And because gospel is best heard in church itself I saved, in my opinion, the best (twenty minutes !) for the end : I have a friend above all others & Be with me Jesus & Nearer to Thee.
The comment is, as always, 'the place to be' for this.

Last wednesday I wrote about Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) and his 65th birthday. I referred to an earlier post of mine : the 1963-LP Cassius Clay - I am the greatest (for 'collectors' only !). But few know Sam Cooke helped Cassius Clay (they were friends) making those records in them day's.
Here are on Youtube Cassius Clay & Sam Cooke BBC 1964 (watch the interviewer laughing) while they are singing one of the songs from this LP.

Well if you like this (and I am 200% sure you will) go to my april 2006 posting !

Labels: ,


Comments:
Cooke, Sam - Gospel compilation (on Specialty)
Recording Date Mar 1, 1951-Jul 22, 1955

01-Cooke, Sam - Peace In The Valley
02-Cooke, Sam - Touch The Hem Of His Garment
03-Cooke, Sam - Come And Go To That Land
04-Cooke, Sam - Must Jesus Bear This Cross Alone
05-Cooke, Sam - Until Jesus Calls Me Home
06-Cooke, Sam - Jesus Gave Me Water
07-Cooke, Sam - Nearer To Thee
08-Cooke, Sam - Jesus, I'll Never Forget
09-Cooke, Sam - That's Heaven To Me
10-Cooke, Sam - Any Day Now
11-Cooke, Sam - Jesus Will Lead Me To That Promised Land
12-Cooke, Sam - Lord Remember Me
13-Cooke, Sam - How Far Am I From Canaan (alternate take)
14-Cooke, Sam - Pilgrim Of Sorrow (alternate take)
15-Cooke, Sam - The Last Mile Of The Way (Alternate take)
16-Cooke, Sam - I Have A Friend Above All Others (live)
17-Cooke, Sam - Be With Me Jesus (live)
18-Cooke, Sam - Nearer To Thee (live)

Copy and paste into one link :

htt
AND
p://rapi
AND
dshare.com/files/12920311/C_S-Gc_oS__JD.rar

Pass : JD_070122


This is sooooo great ...
 
Too bad the link's dead
Lord have mercy
Cheers
 
You must have done something wrong 'cause I just checked and the link is still OK.

I like this compilation very much. It's a nice 'overview' of his Gospel/Specialty period.
So please try it again.

Cheers also. I just had a few drinks 'cause I have 5 (FIVE) days off duty !!
 
I certainly did something wrong (without any drinks!)cause the link's working perfectly. Thank you so much. Sam Cooke is one of my favourite singers and I like his Gospel period best. Then, here in Toulouse, France, these recordings are quite impossible to get. So once more thanks for sharing.
All the best, Eric.
 
You're welcome.
My son, international truck driver, is somewhere in your neighbourhood this week... :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Wanna see more ? Click the archive buttons in the left bar !

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
My archives pictures