Friday, March 02, 2007

 

On this day 1931 : Mikhail Gorbachyov

During the seventies I spent quite some time in Eastern Europe.
The people were great but the political system wasn't. How they longed for, at least, some freedom.
I could 'smell' how my/our parents felt during the second World War. I can understand how people feel today when they become part of a war which is started by 'the leaders' for whatever reason..... They just want to live their lives !

Then in 1985 a certain Mikhail Gorbachyov came into the USSR power and introduced glasnost (new freedoms to the people, such as a greater freedom of speech).
Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachyov (commonly written as Mikhail Gorbachev; born March 2, 1931) was the last leader of the Soviet Union, serving from 1985 until its collapse in 1991. His attempts at reform helped to end the Cold War, and also ended the political supremacy of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (CPSU) and dissolved the Soviet Union. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1990.
Go to Wikipedia to read more !

I think the world owe him a lot ! The picture above is from TIME_1988_01_04. In my humble opinion a well deserved (first) award. The Nobel Peace price 2 years later was of much more importance of course.

From time to time I still watch my photo's and also my video's like the one about falling down the so hatred 'Berlin wall'.

Gorbachyov celebrates today his 76th birthday. Hope he will stay healthy and live for a long period !

Comments:
In democracy, it is people, not politician who want the war. Otherwise they wouldn't vote for Bush or Milosevic ...
 
There is democracy with real free elections.
There is 'democracy' with no free elections (like the former communist country's or nowadays Zimbabwe as an example).

The leaders have election program's and so we can make a choice.
But during the years things can change and they have to make decisions which were not foreseen.
We, the voters, also don't know they may have a 'hidden agenda'.

I will vote for the person who promises me/us not to pay taxes anymore.
But I also want better roads. Who will/can pay for that if a government doesn't get taxes anymore ?

We all vote (mostly) with our personal interest in mind.
Our leaders have to take, for the benefit of the whole of our nation or even broader with the world, a more global interest in mind.

I personally was (and still am) in favour of the war in former Yuguslavia, Afghanistan, Iraq.
I wished it wasn't necessary and a 'turn-over' could have been like in the former USSR.
It turned out a little bit more difficult. That's something different.

But I keep in mind it is for the benefit of the people over there.
Of course they suffer a lot. In my opinion that has more to do with the former power in eg Afghanistan who want to defend their drugs income which so many children suffer so much. Same goes for the fanatic religion thoughts.

I'm happy I live in a free country and will always be grateful to the allied who freed us 60 years ago from the nazi regime.
And look nowadays. Aren't we all working well together in Europe ?
Apart from the former 'eastern European country's' my favorite country is Germany......
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Wanna see more ? Click the archive buttons in the left bar !

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
My archives pictures