Tuesday, May 01, 2007

 

On this day 1965 : Spike Jones dies

Spike Jones died over 40 years ago in Bel Air in California.
He began his musical career as a drummer but quite soon he started an orchestra of his own which played 'comical music' which was very different to the normal big band music. Most people only know him by that and sadly don't recognize how fine musician (and arranger) he was.

Spike Jones and his City Slickers had a huge succes in the forties and fifties with songs like Cocktails For Two, William Tell Overture, Der Fuehrer's Face and Hawaiian War Chant.
Great vocalists with great names. What a fun it must have been when they did performances.

Sadly I don't have original LP's by him but only (three) compilation LP's.
From these three I made a personal compilation for ya.

See the comment of my choice of songs (all about 50-60 years old !) and which I put on Rapidshare in only 128Kbits. The records are quite bad. I 'cleaned' the songs as good as possible but you still can hear the crackles. I dont mind, hope you also.

Comments:
Jones, Spike vinyl compilation

01-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - Cocktails For Two
02-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - The Blue Danube
03-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - Pal-Yat-Chee
04-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - My Old Flame
05-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - Dance Of The Hours
06-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - The Man On The Flying Trapeze
07-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - Liebestraum
08-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - Der Fuehrer's Face
09-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - You Always Hurt The One You Lo
10-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - Chloe
11-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - III Barkio
12-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - The Glow Worm
13-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - None But The Lonely Heart
14-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - Rhapsody From Hunger
15-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - Hawaiian War Chant
16-Spike Jones ah City Slickers - William Tell Overture

Copy/paste into one link :

htt
AND
p://rapi
AND
dshare.com/files/28801403/J_S-vinyl_comp_JD.rar

Pass :

JD_070430
 
I saw Spike Jones in his road show twice when I was about 10 years old. I saved up my own money to buy the ticket (about 2 dollars as I recall). There are parts of it I still remember.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Wanna see more ? Click the archive buttons in the left bar !

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
My archives pictures