Sunday, September 30, 2007

 

Fats Domino - Christmas is a special day 2006 (= Christmas Gumbo 1993)

Earlier this week I wrote (in advance) : As promised I'll post every sunday a Christmas album. Still have to decide which one this week. Examples : Domino, Fats - Christmas Gumbo ; Francis, Connie - The Christmas Album ; Ives, Burl - Have A Holly Jolly Christmas ; Miller, Glenn - A Christmas Concert (live radio transcripts if I remember well in the war years before he died).
Well I'll see. Maybe you have suggestions.
>> In the comment just one suggestion (thank you), so the choice is easy...

Fats Domino inks new Record Contract (sort of) by Jeff Hannusch (edited by me).
In early September 2006, Fats Domino met with CSP Records owner Jimmy Rogers in the lobby of the Sheraton Hotel on Canal Street. Domino (sporting a captain’s hat, a blue guayabera, his signature jewelry and $2.95 Rite Aid eyeglasses) agreed to lease his self-produced Christmas CD, Christmas Gumbo, to CSP. The CD originally appeared on EMI in 1993, but has been out of print since 2001. The master was returned to Domino as part of his agreement with EMI. The CSP lease is binding for at least three years. “I always believed it was a great record and there were a lot of good songs on it,” says Domino, who received an undisclosed number of $100 bills upon signing. “But EMI didn’t promote it at all. CSP said they are going to push it to radio and record stores. That’s what it needed in the first place. I thought going with them made a lot of sense. They’re nice people and I’m glad they contacted me.”
For Rogers, inking a deal with Domino is a dream come true.
“I still can’t believe it, Fats Domino on CSP,” Rogers says, “If this is a dream, hope I never wake up. Fats has been one of my heroes since I was a little kid growing up in Baton Rouge. This wasn’t an easy deal to pull off. I talked with Fats and his daughter several times on the phone and he agreed to the deal. But like his daughter said, ‘Things can be subject to change.’ I wasn’t sure the deal was going to go through until Fats walked into the lobby. I bet I jumped three feet in the air when I saw him. He was real personable. He sang us a couple songs, let us take his picture, told us some stories and he signed some autographs.
Believe me, I’m still on cloud nine. ”By the time you read this, Christmas Gumbo should already be in stores
(note JD : it’s release date was 2006_september_29).
“I meant what I told Fats,” says Rogers. “I’ll work it harder than any CD we ever put out. It’s going to be distributed nationally through Gonzales Music and I’ve got a national radio promotion guy working it for seven weeks before Christmas. I’ve talked to several dealers and deejays and they’re really excited about us putting out the CD. Over a cold Heineken (“I don’t like to eat on an empty stomach,” Domino explains), Domino spoke briefly about his Katrina experience and the last 12 months. “Getting out in a boat wasn’t anything nice,” he says. “The Harbor Police rescued me. I lost 22 gold records and my pianos. I wound up in Baton Rouge at my granddaughter’s for a few weeks. She lives with that LSU football player, JaMarcus (Russell). I bought a nice house on the West Bank. I like it over there. I’d like to fix my old house up (in the Ninth Ward), but it’s going to cost several hundred thousand dollars. Some people think I’m crazy, but you know, it’s like the old song” (then he sings) “Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans.”

Enough interesting (!?!?!) talking here : to be continued in the comments....

Labels:


Comments:
One great Christmas album not filled with the usual is "To Drive The Cold Winter Away"-Loreena McKennitt. If you've never heard it you're in for her fantastic voice on traditional carols and seasonal type songs.
 
Hi, never heard of the lady. Made a Google search and found info about Loreena McKennitt in Wikipedia. So she's born in 1957.
To Drive the Cold Winter Away is the album you mention. From 1987. Looking at the tracklist I'm sure there are new and refreshing songs on it.
But I'm sorry, this is way to 'new' for me and by so don't have that.

I'll pick something else.

BY THE WAY.
If you use the above links it isn't openened in a new Window. So hit the Backspace button and you'll come back to this comment !!
 
I agree about Loreena McKennitt by the way and also SaraH McLachlan - both stunning modern Xmas albums. However, can we have Christmas Gumbo? It sounds like fun and upbeat!!
Great site. Keep up the good work.
 
Domino, Fats - Christmas Gumbo 1993
Domino, Fats - Christmas is a special day 2006 Rerelease


01-Domino, Fats - I Told Santa Claus
02-Domino, Fats - Christmas Is a Special Day
03-Domino, Fats - Jingle Bells
04-Domino, Fats - I'll Be Home for Christmas
05-Domino, Fats - Silver Bells
06-Domino, Fats - Frosty the Snowman
07-Domino, Fats - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
08-Domino, Fats - Blue Christmas
09-Domino, Fats - Silent Night
10-Domino, Fats - White Christmas
11-Domino, Fats - Please Come Home for Christmas
12-Domino, Fats - Amazing Grace

You will have to do a little work to get the link. Sorry, otherwise I have to use 'transferrers'.
Copy and paste into one link, paste it in your browser and hit RETURN
:
htt
AND
p://rapi
AND
dshare.com/files/59153279/D_F-CG93.rar

Pass to extract the file : 070929

File is a small 40MB, 'cause the songs are only in 128kbits

>>
When you see this in Google cache (or alike or through using the search function in my Blog) you actually have to go to my Blog and the plain comment itself otherwise you cannot copy/paste this !
If you don't wanna come to me of course you can also write the link down and type it afterwards...... :-)

Direct links (after that go to the comments !!) :
JeansMusicBlog
JeansMusicBlog 2007_september archive
>>
 
getting closer to Xmas time to garner some great holiday tunes.


Thank you




Rhod
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Wanna see more ? Click the archive buttons in the left bar !

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
My archives pictures