Monday, May 26, 2008

 

Today 1904 George Formby jr was born

Today 1904 George Formby Jr was born at 3 Westminster Street, Wigan, Lancashire, as George Hoy Booth. His father (James Booth) was George Formby Sr (1875-1921) one of the great music hall comedians of his day.

Legendary singer and filmstar George Formby did more than any other entertainer to cheer up Britain during the black years of the Great Depression in the 30's, and World War II a decade later. Look at Wikipedia to read his biography.

Here's a 'greatest hits' collection of his original classics, inimitable (though many have tried) performances and inventive songs, shot through with humor, pathos and best of all, blatant innuendo : George Formby - That ukelele man
01-When I'm cleaning windows
02-The window cleaner (no 2)
03-Mr Wu's a window cleaner now
04-Sittin' on the ice in the ice rink
05-Swimmin' with the wimmin'
06-The Lancashire toreador
07-With my little stick of Blackpool rock
08-Our Sergeant Major
09-Hi-Tiddley-Hi-Ti Island
10-Sitting on the sands all night
11-Chinese laundry blues
12-Madam Moscovitch
13-In my little snapshot album
14-Mother, what'll I do now
15-Bless 'em all
16-With my little ukelele in my hand
17-I told my baby with my ukelele
18-Frigid air Fanny
19-Leaning on a lamp-post
20-It's turned out nice again

Left video George Formby plays Our Sergeant Major on his uke-banjo
and right video The Window Cleaner, being performed
by George Formby to a bunch of soldiers in Normandy.

A comment on Youtube :
George was the Elvis of the 1930s,1940s,1950s, nothing in common with Elvis, it's just that the entire British Commonwealth of nations loved him in those 30 or so years and he was the best, but did not think of himself as above anyone else, unlike today's music stars! The guy makes me cry, that age was so innocent, compared to now!

There was early this month elsewhere someone from Botswana (of all places...) who asked for a song (..any song would do..) by George Formby so I promised to post here and today an entire compilation album....

Comments:
Note : full screen window gives you the best view of the comments !

'Clickable' links are for you downloaders soooo convienent but the disadvantage is they don't seem to 'last' long.
The Blogger gets a lot of comments 'please re-up'...... Other, more appropriate/interesting comments, they sadly don't get.... :(
So you will have to do a little work to get the link.
This seems, in my opinion, the best deal between 'protecting' my links and the least effort for you.


Link :
http://r#pidsh#re.com/files/117723478/F_G-Tum.rar
Of course you understand to replace in r#pidsh#re twice the # in an a otherwise you don't have a 'valid' link !!
Paste this valid link in your browser-url and hit RETURN. You can also copy/paste the link into your 'downloadmanager'.

Pass to extract the file : 080526
The file is a small 50MB, 'cause the songs are only in low bitrate 128kbits.
Please donnut give a nasty comment about that, neither about the sleeve.

>>
The next depends, amongst other things, on your security options in your browser and by so the ability to copy/paste the link.

When you see this in Google or Yahoo cache or by my Blog's search function read first the RED instructions at the top left of my Blog !
Direct link (after that go to the plain comment of this 2008_may article !) : JeansMusicBlog
Also possible : just click the 'post a comment' section here and you are able to copy/paste !
>>
 
I'm constantly being surprised (and delighted) at the music that you post on your blog.
Thanks, once again.
 
I had some of George Formby's 78s when I was a kid in the 1940s. Loved them.

Thanks you very much for sharing this collection.
 
Thank you for the videos too.

I saw him and his wife Beryl in a live show in the early 1950s. This is a wonderful memento of the occasion.
 
Why would anyone complain about a 128kbps with recordings that go back this far? Sorry. I just don't get it.
Thanks for these classics. I'm lucky enough to have some of his father's recordings when all this technology was new.
 
I fully agree but had complaints about my 'low' bitrate.... How they dared...
So I made a small article called 'My opinion about bitrates' on 2008_jan_25.
 
Your commentary on bit rate explains it all. I'm one of those who doesn't have genetically altered ears so 128 is just fine. Thanks for the posts and to echo your sentiments to the complainers...don't like the bit rate, go buy it.
 
Some of these songs are filthy! Well done. Do you have any more?
 
Yes, and who knows...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Wanna see more ? Click the archive buttons in the left bar !

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
My archives pictures