Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

Nilsson, Harry - The point! 1970

The Point! is the soundtrack to a cartoon feature originally aired on ABC TV in 1971. Especially at this stage of his career, Harry Nilsson was uniquely suited for writing and recording children's music, given his sweet melodicism and love of whimsy. As it happens, The Point! worked out better than anyone could have expected, not just because "Everything's Got 'Em," "Me and My Arrow," "Think About Your Troubles," and "Are You Sleeping?" are songs strong enough to have been on a proper Nilsson record. There's also an intangible quality to this record, a warmth and generosity that really wasn't on any of his other albums, quite possibly because his humor is never sardonic or reliant on in-jokes. It's gentle and loving, as is the music. The tale is fantastical enough to be of interest to children (and the moral is strong enough to reassure them and their parents !!!), but the songs and music are so strong that the album continues to be a source of wonder, even as those children become adults.

Nilsson, Harry - The point 1970
Pass (type it and don't forget the underscore) : JD_070121

Note that this is my vinyl recording from the original LP. The fantastic whole booklet/cartoon is included.
There's also a CD with bonus tracks but I prefer the vinyl recording.

Raises me a question. Does someone has the original cartoon (NOT the remake with Ringo Starr !) ??

EDIT 2008_01_14
I finally laid a hand on the TV-cartoon. Not an excellent tape after all those years but it is sooo great to watch ! Thanks Marvin & Harriet !!!!

Comments:
i come to your site from hanszunblog. he said you are called hans also....so what is it..hans or jean. just kidding. i am trying to share my old vinyl also. i finally have all the bits and pieces to plug in my old turntable AND a rapidshare account (which sure makes downloading easier and faster). you must be pretty good with computer to make your logo (under "about me"). thanks for sharing and i will visit again soon.
 
What a great, great album to start with. Thanks so much. I remember seeing it when it originally aired.

Good luck on your blog!
 
THANKS BUDS YOU HAVE NO IDEAR HOW MANY TRIPS I DID WHIT THE POINT LOVE IT
 
What great memories! Thanks! A family favorite from the past. I have A VHS copy of this: if it's the original, I'll find a way to up load it. Again thanks for what you do!
mtwalker55
 
Harry is one of the greats so thank you for this one - just great! Do you have more Harry Nilson?
 
w0w, what a great delightful, pleasurable album... can't find any fauLt in this!!! so meLodioUs w/ an imaginative, incrediBLe st0ry and as greAt as any perfect p0p aLbum can be...

thank you very MucH~

I'd really love to live in that t0wn where almost anybodY and anything has a p0int... &^__^*
 
Hello jeansmusic!

Guess what I came across a record of this at the thrift shop and with good condition at that, too! I had the owner test it and the people in the cafe were cheering and delighted with the music (their first time to hear it) I am sooo thankful to you for introducing me to this wonderful album. again, thaNks. ^^*
 
Good heavens, I've not heard this since 1971! Kenny Everett was a big fan of Harry Nilsson's, as were the Beatles. Lovely to hear it again. Thanks Jean!;-)
 
What a coincidence Alan. Just earlier this week I watched again the TV cartoon of The Point. So great the 'underlaying' thought/message.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Wanna see more ? Click the archive buttons in the left bar !

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker
My archives pictures